Thursday, June 4, 2009

gearing up for marathon

good morning! i can't believe it's already thursday, but hey, i'm not complaining about that.

this week i've been taking it fairly easy with my workouts, what with recovering from the half, and prepping for marathon training which begins on (yikes!) saturday. this means lots of rest. i alloted for 6 days of working out this week, but i already skipped yesterday, and i might also take the day off on friday.

yesterday i just didn't feel like working out. i felt tired, and decided to listen to my body and just let myself REST.

i've mentioned before that this can be a pretty hard thing for me to do. but i have 5 months of training coming up, and i don't want to get burnt out before the marathon! i've heard from several people that they trained so much and worked themselves so hard, that by marathon time, they felt beat up.

i'd like to try to avoid that as much as possible, which for me really means not over-doing it, listening to my body, resting a day or two each week, and cross training. i think cross training will be key for me to keep up my endurance and help avoid inflaming the tendinitis in my foot, and also preventing other injuries.

anyway, here were some of yesterday's eats...

breakfast

  • 1 packet tj's maple brown sugar oatmeal (last one!)
  • 1 small banana
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 1/2 c. skim milk
  • 1 small coffee with stevia and a splash of skim milk

i was on a breakfast bagel kick for a few days (i can't help my ess a bagel addiction), and decided the only thing that could get me off of that was some pb oatmeal goodness.

lunch
  • 1 whole wheat mission tortilla wrap with 2 tbsp. sabra hummus, spinach, and roasted zuchini and eggplant
  • grapes

this wrap was unbelievable! i had roasted some veggies the night before for dinner, and used the leftovers in this wrap. the flavor was really good (i used olive oil, oregano, basil, salt and chopped garlic for the veggies) and the humus made it very savory. i was planning on eating half, but it was so good i ended up eating the whole thing!

dinner
  • leftover pasta with 2 trader joe's turkey meatballs and tomato sauce with a sprinkle of pecorino romano cheese
  • 1 mini soy delicious ice cream sandwich, topped with pb & co. "the bees knees" peanut butter



i think i am addicted to the pb & co. peanut butter- i need to stop buying it ;)

alright, off to work. more to come soon on rest and recover, and cross-training...

2 comments:

  1. Great job listening to your body! My upper leg muscles (close to the butt) have been really sore since the half and especially this morning. I've limited my runs to 2-3 miles this week and at a slow pace. I was hoping to start marathon training on Monday but I didn't get a bib for 2009. I guess this just means I can focus on decreasing my time for my next half and doing more speedwork. I'm actually really nervous about this as I"VE ALWAYS been a 10 minute mile gal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous re: marathon! Also, so funny that you ate at the restaurant under my building (i recognize those blue tablecloths anywhere!!!) in the village after the race :) I love their chips, they taste like crack... I probably walked my dog right by you! Good luck with everything!
    xoxo
    s

    ReplyDelete